Method 2: Try connecting the external hard drive to a different USB port and check. … Open Disk Manager by pressing Windows key + R, in the run prompt type diskmgmt. msc, hit Enter key, it will open the disk management that will list all the disks that are connected to the computer. Check if you can see the USB drive.
How do I get Windows 10 to recognize my external hard drive?
Press Windows Key + X and choose Disk Management from the menu. Locate your portable hard drive in Disk Management and right-click it. Choose Change Drive Letter and Paths. A new window will appear showing you the current letter of your portable hard drive.
Why is my external hard drive not showing up on my computer?
If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.
How do I fix Windows not recognizing my external hard drive?
What to Do When Your External Hard Drive Won’t Show Up
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. …
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC) …
- Update Your Drivers. …
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch. …
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive. …
- Our Favorite External Hard Drives.
How do I find my external hard drive on my PC?
You should see your external drive listed in the Disk Management window, likely below your primary and any secondary disks. Even if it doesn’t appear in the This PC window because it doesn’t contain any partitions, it should show up here as Removable.
What do I do if my hard drive is not detected?
To check to see if this is the cause of the BIOS not detecting the hard drive, follow these steps:
- Power off the computer.
- Open the computer case and remove the data cable from the hard drive. This will stop any power saving commands from being sent.
- Turn on the system. Check to see if the hard drive is spinning.
How do I get my computer to recognize my Seagate external hard drive?
- On your keyboard, hold the Windows Key ( ) down and press R.
- Type compmgmt. …
- Click on Device Manager on the left.
- First check the Disk Drives section in the middle window by double-clicking it.
- Look for your drive name. …
- Right click on your external drive listed under Disk Drives.
- Click on Properties.
How can I recover my external hard drive?
To recover deleted files from an external hard drive:
- Connect an external hard disk to your PC.
- Launch Disk Drill for Windows or Mac.
- Select your drive from the list.
- Click Search for lost data.
- Preview files that Disk Drill can retrieve.
- Select the files for recovery and click Recover all button.
7 янв. 2020 г.
Why is my Seagate hard drive not showing up?
If your Seagate external hard drive is detected, the original cable is the cause. If the problem still appears, connect the external hard drive to another USB port. Then, check whether the Seagate external hard drive is recognized. If so, it can be concluded that there is something wrong with the previous USB port.