They’re used to restore your iDevice without needing a download if there has been no new update to iOS. If you delete these files and you later need to restore your iPhone, iTunes will update to the newest iOS version by uploading the appropriate installer file.
Can I delete iOS files on Mac?
Click the Manage button and then click iOS Files in the left panel to view the local iOS backup files you have stored on your Mac. If you no longer need them, highlight them and click the Delete button (and then Delete again to confirm your intention to permanently delete the file).
What does iOS files mean on Mac storage?
The iOS files include all the backups and software update files of iOS devices that are synced with your Mac. While it is easier to use iTunes to back up your iOS devices data but over time, all the old data backup could take up a significant chunk of storage space on your Mac.
What happens if I delete my iPhone backup from my Mac?
The only reason you would want to keep old backups is if you still needed to restore some of the data from them to your device. It will only delete it from iCloud, freeing up space in your account. It won’t do anything to the data on the data on your phone.
What files can I safely delete from my Mac?
6 macOS Folders You Can Safely Delete to Save Space
- Attachments in Apple Mail Folders. The Apple Mail app stores all cached messages and attached files. …
- Past iTunes Backups. iOS backups made with iTunes can take up a lot of disk space on your Mac. …
- Your Old iPhoto Library. …
- Leftovers of Uninstalled Apps. …
- Unneeded Printer and Scanner Drivers. …
- Cache and Log Files.
23 янв. 2019 г.
How do you permanently delete files from a Mac?
How to permanently delete files on a Mac (without sending them to Trash)
- Highlight the items you want to remove.
- Hold down Alt (Option) + Command (⌘) + Delete keys.
- Click Delete on a popup with the friendly Finder icon.
8 июл. 2020 г.
How do you clean up files on a Mac?
How to free up storage space manually
- Music, movies, and other media can use a lot of storage space. …
- Delete other files that you no longer need by moving them to the Trash, then emptying the Trash. …
- Move files to an external storage device.
- Compress files.
11 дек. 2020 г.
Why are iOS files taking up space on Mac?
You’ll see iOS Files on your Mac if you’ve ever backed up an iOS device to your computer. … So, if you’ve switched to iCloud Backup (and you’ve confirmed a recent copy of your data is safely stored in the cloud), those iOS Files taking up all that space on your Mac can be removed.
How do I delete old iOS backups on my Mac?
Mac: How to delete iPhone backups in macOS Catalina
- Plug your iPhone into your Mac with a Lightning cable.
- Launch Finder and click your iPhone in the sidebar on the left.
- Under the Backups section, click Manage Backups…
- Select the backup(s) you want to delete.
- Click Delete Backup in the bottom left corner of the window.
- Confirm the deletion if needed.
15 янв. 2020 г.
How do I empty my Mac cache?
Step 1: From the browser menu, select Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced. Step 2: Enable the “Show Develop menu in menu bar” option and close the preferences window. Step 3: From the browser menu, select Develop -> Empty caches. Step 4: All the caches are successfully cleared.
Will deleting old backup delete everything?
No it shouldn’t, because the backups don’t affect anything anyway. … In fact, even deleting the backup of your current iPhone won’t have any impact on what’s actually on your device. The information stored in your iCloud Backups is just that—a backup, or copy, of what is currently on your iPhone.
Will deleting messages from Mac delete from iPhone?
If you use Messages in iCloud, deleting a conversation on your Mac deletes it from all of your devices where Messages in iCloud is turned on. … To stop receiving messages from a business chat, delete the conversation. Alternatively, you can turn off notifications.