Press and hold Option/Alt while the Mac starts up – keep pressing the key until you see a screen showing the bootable volume. Choose the bootable installer volume. Click Continue. Select Install macOS from the Utilities window that appears.
How do I wipe my Mac and reinstall?
Select your startup disk on the left, then click Erase. Click the Format pop-up menu (APFS should be selected), enter a name, then click Erase. After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility. In the Recovery app window, select “Reinstall macOS,” click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
What is a clean install Mac OS?
It saves all your personal files, apps and user data, while a so-called clean install of Sierra will erase all data on the startup drive and replace it with a clean copy of OS. But, if you like an idea of giving your Mac a fresh start with a new macOS and nothing else, a clean install is the right option for you.
Does reinstalling macOS delete everything?
Reinstalling Mac OSX by booting into the Rescue drive partition (hold Cmd-R at boot) and selecting “Reinstall Mac OS” does not delete anything. It overwrites all system files in-place, but retains all your files and most preferences.
How do I set up my Mac as new?
How to set up a new Mac or MacBook
- Step 1: Make sure that there is an internet connection. You will need to be able to connect to the internet during the set up process so make sure that there is a web connection and that you know the password.
- Step 2: Switch on your new Mac. …
- Step 3: Run Setup Assistant. …
- Step 4: Go to the App Store.
17 дек. 2019 г.
How do you clear everything off a Mac?
How to Wipe a Mac Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- Make sure your Mac is turned off.
- Press the power button.
- Immediately hold down the command and R keys.
- Wait until the Apple logo appears.
- Select “Disk Utility” from the OS X Utilities list. …
- Select the disk you’d like to erase by clicking on it in the sidebar.
What’s the difference between Apfs and Mac OS Extended?
APFS, or “Apple File System,” is one of the new features in macOS High Sierra. … Mac OS Extended, also known as HFS Plus or HFS+, is the file system used on all Macs from 1998 until now. On macOS High Sierra, it’s used on all mechanical and hybrid drives, and older versions of macOS used it by default for all drives.
How do I reinstall OSX without USB?
- Restart your Mac, or power it on, while holding down the Command + R key combination.
- Release the Command + R key combination once you see the Apple logo on display. …
- Once you see a window like the one below, click on Disk Utility and Erase your main Mac HDD (or SSD).
31 окт. 2016 г.
How do I reinstall Mac OSX recovery?
Start up from macOS Recovery
Select Options, then click Continue. Intel processor: Make sure that your Mac has a connection to the internet. Then turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold Command (⌘)-R until you see an Apple logo or other image.
How do you clean out your Mac to make it run faster?
Here’s How to Speed Up Your Mac
- Find resource-hungry processes. Some apps are more power-hungry than others and can slow your Mac to a crawl. …
- Manage your startup items. …
- Turn off visual effects. …
- Delete browser add-ons. …
- Reindex Spotlight. …
- Reduce Desktop clutter. …
- Empty the caches. …
- Uninstall unused apps.
Will reinstalling macOS fix problems?
However, reinstalling OS X isn’t a universal balm that fixes all hardware and software errors. If your iMac has contracted a virus, or a system file that was installed by an application “goes rogue” from data corruption, reinstalling OS X likely won’t solve the problem, and you’ll be back to square one.
What happens if you reinstall macOS?
It does exactly what it says it does–reinstalls macOS itself. It only touches operating system files that are there in a default configuration, so any preference files, documents and applications that are either changed or not there in the default installer are simply left alone.
How do I restore factory settings on my MacBook air?
How to reset a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro
- Hold down the Command and R keys on the keyboard and turn on the Mac. …
- Select your language and continue.
- Choose Disk Utility and click continue.
- Choose your startup disk (named Macintosh HD by default) from the sidebar and click the Erase button.
How do I setup my old Mac to my new one?
Use Migration Assistant
- Open Migration Assistant, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder. Then click Continue.
- When asked how you want to transfer your information, select the option to transfer from a Mac, Time Machine backup, or startup disk. Then click Continue.
12 нояб. 2020 г.
How do I factory reset my MacBook Pro 2020?
Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Release the keys after about 20 seconds.